By now many of you have heard the term mompreneur which applies to the large number of entrepreneurial women who are working from home running successful businesses while raising their families. This combo of the entrepreneurial spirit combined with being a busy mom working from home has sprung the new term “mompreneur” into existence.
Lisa Druxman, Founder of Stroller Strides, is one such mompreneur and is our featured guest in this Episode of The Small Business Trends Radio. Lisa started her business out of her home and, at one time, had 8 employees coming in, each with their own keys and their children in tow – until she eventually franchised the business. Lisa shares her personal story of how she created her franchise and how to find a little bit of peace – in the wonderful chaos of a busy mompreneur.
Here’s a sampling of topics from the show:
- Make sure you — do something you love. Because on the days that are tough (and there will be days that are tough), loving what you do will pull you through them.
- Three tools for mompreneurs — that Lisa recommends are 1.) a blackberry; 2.) a web based business center service such as Earnware and 3.) hire a nanny/housekeeper. Because ladies, it doesn’t matter who makes the bed or does the dishes – this will make you a much happier mom and a better businesswoman.
- Franchise startup costs — can run anywhere from $60k to $200k. The cost depends on how many states your business is in and the attorney fees involved for filing accordingly.
- Franchising laws — are changing all the time so make sure that you retain an attorney that specializes in franchising. This was a mistake that cost Lisa dearly with The Federal Trade Commission and took some real hard work to rectify.
- The International Franchise Association (IFA) — can assist you in franchising your business. However, a thick skin is required for a business at this level and being a franchiser is no small task. It requires money and time – which may not be fitting for a mom whose main goal was to spend time with family. But it CAN be done and Lisa is fortunate enough to still be working from home.
Lisa’s story is inspiring and amazing, considering her young age, and she’s helping moms everywhere stay in shape through Stroller Strides, a specialty “mom” fitness program that incorporates your children – and their strollers – into a series of exercise routines. You can hear Lisa’s story and learn more about Stroller Strides by clicking the red and yellow player below and listening to her full interview.
Brought to you by our sponsors: