We’re pretty sure that many of you have probably asked yourself, “I wonder how much is my web site worth?” It’s exciting to think that a site you lovingly created and maintained could possibly be of real value and worth.
So, are you ready to find out how much your web site is worth? Of course you are!
Debra Matthews, Senior Internet Business Broker at Quiet Light Brokerage, joins host, Anita Campbell and co-host Brent Leary, to discuss how sites are currently valued, how the marketplace is currently reacting to web businesses for sale, what things a web business owner can do to increase their value – and the common mistakes web business owners make when it’s time to sell their business.
Below are the questions we asked Debra in this episode:
- (2:58) First Debra, can you tell us a bit more about yourself and your background?
- (4:21) Can you tell us a bit about Quiet Light Brokerage and how the name was chosen?
- (5:30) Are there any standards or rules of thumb that are generally applied or can be applied to web site valuations?
- (6:46) Can you tell us what factors should be considered in a valuation for asking price or maybe for an evaluation for a buyer when trying to figure out what to offer?
- (9:00) Can you give us a couple of examples of those types of web sites?
- (11:01) If you have a trademark on your logo and a couple of design elements relating to the site, does that add a lot of value or just something additional?
- (11:46) How has the current economic climate affected the purchase and sale of small business web sites?
- (12:43) If sellers are asked to carry financing, what is the typical response?
- (17:17) What are the most common mistakes you see sellers make when it comes time for them to sell?
- (18:13) What process should they walk through to make sure they get the best deal they can get?
- (19:17) Can you use a free service to supply the traffic data for the site?
- (20:43) What particular parts of traffic measurements are most important?
- (21:57) How much of that type of traffic data should you have and for how long?
- (23:14) What should a buyer be on the lookout for?
- (24:34) What are a couple of top things that should be on that evaluation list?
- (25:32) What can you do to make your site as attractive as possible for potential buyers once it’s actively listed?
- (26:59) Do you have any other advice on valuations or where to get one?
- (28:28) Debra, where can people find out more on the web?
You can use Debra’s Profit and Loss Spreadsheet template to start keeping your records up to date.
Brought to you by our sponsor:
- Listen to Debra’s full interview now: Click the red and yellow player below -