Many small business owners do not know what effective keywords to target or how to effectively target them with link building. The the importance of “long tail” SEO to small businesses is often overlooked.
Case in point: A used book store owner might aspire to rank on the first page of Google for the keyword phrase “used books.” While this phrase is searched thousands of times each month, it’s also massively competitive and won’t drive very qualified traffic. A series of “long tail” keywords that are less competitive and drive very qualified traffic would be much more effective.
Tom McConnon, Product Manager of LotusJump, joins hosts Anita Campbell to share “long tail” keyword research and SEO tips that every small business owner can benefit from.
Below are the questions we asked Tom in this episode:
- (3:04) First Tom, can you tell us a bit more about yourself and your background?
- (4:50) What can someone actually use LotusJump for?
- (6:38) Explain with a concrete example how SEO can really help a small business?
- (7:57) What is “long tail SEO” and where did this phrase come from?
- (10:20) If you’re picking keywords, what kind of tools do you have at your disposal? What can you do to expand that list?
- (15:19) The more detailed the search request, the closer you are to finding exactly what you’re looking for, correct?
- (19:18) I have noticed that when you do a blog post, you may get a good position from keywords in the title. But over time, you loose that position due to algorithm changes. Do you find that to be true?
- (23:51) What are some good link building tips and resources for a “long tail SEO” strategy?
- (30:51) Can you give us a quick summary of your tips today?
- (32:26) Tom, where can people find out more on the web?
Brought to you by our sponsor:
– Listen to Tom’s full interview now by clicking the red and yellow player below –