Kristina Bouweiri, President & CEO of Reston Limousine and Travel Service, Inc. , started her business with only five cars and today – she has over 150. Kristina admits to being a micro manager, but she soon came to realize that she benefited immensely when she added another team member to the payroll and she learned that hiring the right people with the right skills got the job done better and faster then she could. Today Reston Limousine and Travel Service, Inc. is the 17th largest limousine and bus company in the United States.
Kristina joins Anita Campbell and Brent Leary to share the story of how she stopped micro managing and hired good people for key positions. By doing so, Kristina’s company doubled in size in only one short year.
Below are the questions we asked Kristina:
- (2:22) First, Kristina, can you tell us a bit about yourself and your background?
- (2:57) What was it like, being here in the United States, after living in all of those exotic places?
- (4:23) Can you tell us how the limousine service was started?
- (5:31) How did you come to be the CEO of the company that your husband founded?
- (8:52) I know you admit to being a micro manager, but what was it that forced you to stop being a micro manager?
- (11:23) So you started with an accounting professional, then hired a human resources professional, and then hired an operations manager – until finally, you hired a general manager?
- (13:42) How did you find the right person? What did you learn about the qualities that you needed for a general manager?
- (18:00) What role did the other managers play in determining what type of general manager would be a fit?
- (19:50) What are some of the long term benefits you’ve received from hiring the right type of general manger for your business?
- (20:50) Has your leadership style changed as a result of bringing in a general manger?
- (22:10) Do you see your role changing as time goes on?
- (23:37) What kinds of things should people be on the lookout for to indicate that it’s time to bring in a general manager?
- (25:04) How long did it take you to feel comfortable having a general manager in your company?
- (26:09) Did you see those types of benefits before you saw tangible benefits?
- (27:39) Where can people learn more about your business online?
Brought to you by our sponsor:
- Listen to Kristina’s full interview now by clicking the red and yellow player below -