Barry Moltz, Founder of Barry J. Moltz: Crazy About Business, Insane for Your Success joins Anita Campbell for an in-depth discussion on customer service. More specifically, customer service as a new way of marketing for small business.
Barry has founded and run small businesses with a great deal of success and failure for more than 15 years. He has also founded an angel investor group, an angel fund, and is a former advisory member of the board of the Angel Capital Education Foundation. Barry’s third book, “BAM! Delivering Customer Service in a Self Service World“ talks about how customer service is the new marketing in a social media world.
Below are the questions we asked Barry:
- (2:22) First Barry, can you tell us a bit about yourself and your background and what kind of businesses you’ve run?
- (4:02) You wrote a book titled, “BAM! Delivering Customer Service in a Self Service World.” Tell us, what does BAM stand for?
- (5:36) Getting back to your book specifically, what drove you to write a book about customer service specifically in that way.
- (7:05) Can you tell us how social media, specifically, has changed the dynamics of customer service?
- (8:42) Let’s talk specifically about social media. What, specifically, are people doing with social media?
- (10:21) Are you finding that people are running to social media platforms right away versus contacting the company directly first for the opportunity to address their complaint or problem?
- (11:28) So why is it that many companies do not offer good customer service? Why is that?
- (12:22) So one things small business owners should be doing is taking a look at what their paying their customer services representatives and giving prestige to the position?
- (13:19) If a company doesn’t have much money to pay their customer service representatives, how do you respond to that?
- (17:27) In the book, you say that a monopoly doesn’t have to provide customer service. Why is that?
- (19;16) Can you tell us about some of the myths about customer service that company’s are still engaging in?
- (20:51) “The customer is always right.” You say that is a myth. Can you explain the difference between the view that the customer is always right versus the customer is wrong?
- (21:54) How do you actually fire a customer and what does that mean, to fire a customer?
- (23:20) Isn’t a small businesses success really based on having a narrow enough vision that you carry it out well?
- (24:29) What is your “customer manifesto” referenced in the book?
- (25:38) So, a manifesto is literally a document that you can lay out and deliver to every employee within the company?
- (26:39) Hi Barry, we have a caller, can you take a caller?
- (26:54) As a business entrepreneur, how can I expand my business?
- (2:39) What would you suggest for small business owners that they do?
- (28:42) Barry, where can people find out more?
Brought to you by our sponsor:
– Listen to Barry’s full interview now by clicking the red and yellow player below –