Congress and policymakers tout their support of small businesses at the drop of a hat – but what about all this legislation they propose? Are they really looking out for small businesses?
Dan Danner, President and CEO of National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB), joins Anita Campbell and Brent Leary to look at the issues impacting small businesses. Issues such as health care, taxes, spending issues and the outlook of small businesses on the economy. Dan provides the facts – and explains what they will mean to your small businesses.
Below are the questions we asked Dan:
- (1:57) First Dan, can you tell us a bit about yourself and your background and how you came to be at the NFIB?
- (2:41) Can you tell us a bit about the NFIB and what the organization is about?
- (3:44) What is the typical or median size of the businesses that are members of the NFIB?
- (4:39) One of the things on the minds of others is the general shape of the economy today. What would you say is the mood among small businesses when it comes to the economy?
- (5:56) You mentioned historical lows. It seems optimism been historically low for what, about a year now?
- (6:15) What is really happening? Are people just conserving their cash in small businesses?
- (7:33) What is the status of this new health care bill? While there have been some good things, haven’t there been things that have taken people by surprise?
- (9:38) What do you think is the potential to get some of these things undone in the new bill?
- (10:54) I want to talk specifically about the tax credit in the new health care bill. What can you tell us about that new tax credit?
- (12:34) Is there any potential to actually increase the impact of that tax credit and make it more widely available to small businesses?
- (13:40) Are there other issues that NFIB members are concerned about?
- (18:55) Where are we at when it comes to access of capital when it comes to small business? Where do we stand today with that?
- (20:10) What are the main challenges? Is it revenue growth, finding new customers or simply just navigating new growth on the ground?
- (21:11) Where are small businesses? Are they hiring at all or at they hunkered down? What’s it going to take for them to feel comfortable to move forward?
- (23:09) Do you see any movement of your members turning towards technology to help them face challenges right now?
- (24:26) What’s the proper role in government overall when it comes to the small business person?
- (26:15) In the economic environment, are you seeing a lot more small businesses being created? What are the best ways to get a business started in this kind of an environment?
- (28:05) When do you think things will turn around and really pick up steam for small businesses to feel comfortable about investing in their businesses?
- (29:18) Dan, where can people find out more about the NFIB?
Brought to you by our sponsor:
Listen to Dan’s full interview now by clicking the red and yellow player below