Shawn Hessinger, Chief Moderator at BizSugar, presides over a social media site that crowdsources the finest small business news and tips on the planet from a community of more than 51,000 members globally and growing. Have you ever given any thought as to how social your small business is? And what you might be able to learn from other small business owners?
Shawn Hessinger joins Anita Campbell to explore the different ways that joining a social network can help you leverage the experience of other small business owners around the corner and around the world – to grow your small business smarter.
Below are the questions we asked Shawn:
- (2:28) First Shawn, can you tell us a bit about yourself and your background?
- (4:34) Can you tell listeners how we met?
- (6:33) Can you explain to listeners what BizSugar is and some of the various ways people use BizSugar?
- (8:50) So in essence, you can use it to promote your own content and in the process, you’re building out your social network and developing connections there, is that correct?
- (10:38) You mention something interesting and that is that if you’re participating by commenting and voting on other submissions, then your own submissions get more interest, correct?
- (12:59) We’re not talking about voting clubs, we’re really talking about gaining respect in the community, correct?
- (14:28) Just putting a personalized photograph up for your avatar makes a tremendous difference, doesn’t it?
- (15:50) One of the things I’ve noticed about communities is that they don’t happen by themselves. How do you encourage comments?
- (20:22) How does someone get involved in the BizSugar community, Shawn? Are there a couple of steps they can take?
- (25:14) Can we talk about “no follow” links?
- (28:43) Is there anything else we haven’t talked about? What do you want people to know from you, personally, as the BizSugar moderator?
- (30:42) Where can people find out more?
Brought to you by our sponsor:
Listen to Shawn’s full interview now by clicking the red and yellow player below