Call of the Wild is the longest running adventure travel company, designed specifically for women only, in the world since 1978. Traveling across the United States and around the globe, Call of the Wild provides active adventures for women who are looking to make lifelong memories in a safe and fun environment.
In this episode, Kate Reid, CEO of Call of the Wild, joins Anita Campbell and Brent Leary to talk about her journey as the new owner and CEO of the prestigious adventure travel company, and what tools she’s found effective to help her manage her business and weather the turbulent economic times.
Kate purchased Call of the Wild from its founder in September of 2008 as Lehman Brothers was collapsing. Kate combines her previous work experience at Goldman Sachs, Expedia, and Visa with her passion for the outdoors and adventure to lead Call of the Wild’s day to day operations and business strategy.
Below are the questions we asked Kate:
- (2:45) Kate, can you tell us a bit about yourself and your background and how you came to be the CEO of Call of the Wild?
- (5:13) There must have been something that really grabbed your attention about this business. What was it about Call of the Wild that spoke to you?
- (6:49) So by narrowing your market, you feel you’re actually creating greater opportunity by differentiating your business, correct?
- (7:32) Were you surprised by anything that you weren’t expecting after you became CEO of The Call of the Wild that you didn’t see coming?
- (9:15) It sounds as if these trips are life changing events for the women involved?
- (10:06) How did you manage the experience of purchasing this company during a recession?
- (12:56) So do you feel that things are loosening up now? Or are we still in the grips of financial difficulty and changing consumer behavior?
- (16:02) Do you feel like you’re positioned properly to take advantage of opportunities as the economy recovers?
- (18:23) What kinds of things do you want to hear coming out of Washington to make you feel better about the prospects for the coming year?
- (19:39) What are your industry trends? Are you seeing any major industry trends that are going to shape 2011?
- (21:30) What roles did social media and technology play in helping you get through 2009-2010 and how do you see that helping you in the future?
- (23:18) You already have a Facebook page, correct?
- (24:27) With your background, what kind of suggestions do you have for folks thinking about starting a business or running a business in this climate?
- (26:31) What do you see in 2011 at the end of this year? Where will the overall economy be and where will Call of the Wild be?
- (29:31) Where can people find out more?
Brought to you by our sponsor:
Listen to Kate’s full interview NOW by clicking the red and yellow player below