Brian Scudamore, Founder of 1-800-GOT-JUNK? has started a second brand called 1-888-WOW-1DAY! Painting. The concept is that your home or business is painted in one day. This new painting company has grown quickly, having gone from 1 to 18 franchises in just over a year with a goal of 150 locations by 2016. It took 20 years to build 1-800-GOT-JUNK? into the $100 million company it is today.
Brian learned a lot about business along the way and in this episode, he joins host, Anita Campbell, to share his insights and advice on building a second brand using the lessons he’s learned from building the first one.
Below are the questions we asked Brian:
- (2:23) Brian, can you tell us a bit about yourself and your background?
- (4:18) And you came up with the name? That literally came to you at the McDonald’s drive-thru?
- (5:00) If you had to encapsulate a couple of the key lessons, what would those be? What surprised you and had the biggest impact on your success?
- (10:06) What makes 1-888-WOW1DAY! unique? What would make someone want to call versus calling someone else?
- (13:05) Is this something that can be replicated or is this something that you believe is unique?
- (16:19) Do you agree that many people fail at their second or third business attempts, that they are “one hit wonders” so-to-speak? If you agree with that, can you explain why you think that is?
- (18:06) Were there mistakes that you made with 1-800-GOTJUNK? that you’re avoiding this time around?
- (20:19) Can you give listeners a few recap pointers about what you should do when you’re trying to build a second brand? How do you really build off of that?
- (22:29) Brian, where can people find out more?
* * * * *
Listen to Brian’s interview now by clicking the red and yellow player below