Shashi Bellamkonda, “Social Media Swami” (Director of Social Media) at Network Solutions and Founder of Happenings, Advice and Technology Thoughts, and small business owner, Dr. Alan Glazier of Shady Grove Eye and Vision Care, join Anita Campbell for an in-depth discussion on the results of the Small Business Success Index.
- (3:31) First Shashi, can you tell us a bit about yourself and your background?
- (6:14) What is the Small Business Success Index, Shashi?
- (7:19) What were the criteria of the businesses included in the survey?
- (8:03) Dr. Glazier, can you tell us about your business, where you’re located and how you got to where you are today?
- (8:48) Dr. Glazier, you’re a profession as well as a business. Was that a hard adjustment to make or did it just come naturally?
- (10:00) “Social media presence has doubled from 12% to 24% in the past 12 months, and 45% expect social media to be profitable in the next 12 months.” Tell us, Shashi, what does that mean?
- (11:57) So it sounds as if they are happy from their social media efforts, but it seems that they view it as an investment and expect to see profit coming from their social media efforts. Is that a fair statement?
- (12:39) “Almost 1 out of 5 small business owners actively use social media for a part of their business, 58% of small business owners currently using social media feel it has meet expectations, and 61% of small business owners use social media to entice and attract new customers.” Were you surprised by that?
- (15:18) Dr. Glazier, how long have you been on Twitter?
- (15:45) Is there one that you use more than the others for business purposes or are they equal?
- (16:15) Can you give us one example of how you use Twitter for business purposes?
- (20:25) Do you remember when you first began to realize the importance of getting found in the search engines? How did that happen or was that a gradual awareness that you came into?
- (22:58) How would you measure your success in the search engines and your social media efforts?
- (25:42) Shashi, are there any other key points about social media or the Small Business Index that you’d like to mention?
- (28:42) Dr. Glazier, where can people find out more about you and your practice?
- (29:57) Where can people go to learn more, Shashi?
Brought to you by our sponsor:
– Listen to Shashi and Dr. Glazier’s full interview now by clicking the red and yellow player below –