Sarah Petty opened a boutique photography studio two weeks before the tragedy of 9-11 struck and within 5 years, she was named one of the most successful photographers in the country by The Professional Photographer of America.
Sarah Petty, Founder of The Joy of Marketing, joins Anita Campbell for an in-depth discussion about how she now shares what she’s learned with others by teaching small business owners around the word how to compete without focusing on price.
Below are the questions we asked Sarah:
- (2:55) Sarah, can you tell us a bit about yourself and your background?
- (4:32) Discounting on price often results from panicking. Can you explain what discounting leads to? Why is that a bad thing and is it ever NOT a bad thing?
- (7:08) Can you tell me, if you want to compete and you don’t want to focus on price, what should you do instead?
- (8:28) What if all of your competitors are focused on price, how do you compete? Particularly if you’re in a small town or somewhere where everyone knows who your competitors are?
- (10:48) What advantages do you think small businesses have when compared with larger businesses?
- (12:24) Is there a difference between giving incentives and discounting? How can you tell?
- (14:38) If you’ve been discounting, what do you do? How can you get out of that situation? What advice do you have, Sarah?
- (17:09) Is there any “self talk” that you suggest business owners adopt regarding discounting? What would you suggest that business owners tell themselves so that they have the fortitude to not succumb to discounting and become their own worst enemy?
- (19:07) What if you look around at your situation and find immediately that you’re in trouble. You’re not making enough money and have unpaid expenses? What do you do there? Should you be lowering your expenses, should you charge more, how do you decide?
- (21:07) How can you get a new customers attention if it isn’t because of a sale? How do you go about attracting a new customer and actually getting their attention?
- (22:48) How do you start working with a small business owner? What are the first steps you walk them through and how do they stay on track?
- (26:28) If you had to give one good piece of advice about how to build a brand, what would that be?
- (27:40) Where can people find out more?
* * * * *
Listen to Sarah’s full interview NOW by clicking the red and yellow player below